Application for sole custody

The premise is that joint custody is in the best interest of the child. Sometimes however it is not consistent with the child's best that the parents have joint custody.

The joint custody may be dissolved on two grounds. The first ground is the lack of cooperation. If there are major management problems between the parents and cooperation is so flawed that the parents are not capable of taking joint decisions on custody issues sole custody may be given to one of the parents. The second ground is that one of the parents is unfit as a guardian and that this affects the child negatively. This may involve, for example, alcohol and drug abuse, maltreatment of the child or lack of caring capacity.

Custody can be changed in two ways; either by the parents agreeing or by judgment of the district court. The parent who wants a change of custody must apply for a lawsuit in the District Court.

Skicka fråga